Kilkis (city), international festival, Famous natives
Kilkis (Greek. ; Kilkis; Bolg. The Kukush and tour. Klk) is a city in Greece. in Central Macedonia. Is the capital of the Prefecture of Kilkis. The population for 2001 18 thousand people. The primary economic activity was agriculture. Although recently is the rapid development of industry in the region.
Every year, in September, the city hosts the international festival of puppetry and pantomime.
Alexander Stanishev (1888-1945), Bulgarian doctor, scientist, statesman.
With the transition of the inhabitants to Christianity, formed the diocese Calicos. After the SIXTH century it intensively settled by the southern Slavs from the Bulgarian group. Bulgarian Slavs called the town of Kukush. In the beginning of the 10th century, the area of Kukush goes to Bulgaria. Many of its inhabitants moved to southern Italian Calabria, which then was part of the Byzantine Empire, and founded there the city of Galician (the Gallician), whose residents today remember their origin from Kallikon Macedonia and preserve their Greek identity and traditions..
Because of the destruction of X-th century the diocese Kallikon was closed. Today’s city was built at its current location, after 1014, when the Emperor Basil II defeated the Bulgarian army of Tsar Samuil..
The city got its name from the Roman colony of the first century BC Qualicum (Callicum). Calicum was called a leather sieve, which was extracted gold from the Gallikos river. Calicum was on the site of today’s suburb of Colchis, where the excavations of the Roman and early Christian period.
The second world war
During the war, Greece was subjected to the triple German-Italian-Bulgarian occupation. Bulgaria as an ally of Nazi Germany were given the opportunity to attach a portion of Greek territory. Kilkis was originally in the German zone of occupation, but in 1943, the German command, to release its troops to send to the Eastern front, was an opportunity for Bulgaria to expand the Bulgarian zone of occupation. Throughout the period of occupation around the city against the Germans and Bulgarians acted partisans of the 13th regiment of the people’s liberation army of Greece — ELAS. By the end of the occupation, when the Germans began to leave Greece, in the border Kilkis remains focused collaborators from all over Greece, who refused to surrender to the partisans of ELAS and awaiting the arrival of the British. November 4, 1944, the 13th regiment of ELAS, with the support cavalleresco corps ELAS from Thessaly, attacked the city. Kilkis was released, but in battle killed 150 fighters of ELAS. 13th regiment continued fighting, participating in the liberation of the Bulgarians from the cities of drama and Serres.
The Kukush is again a trade and agricultural center in the seventeenth century. Mentioned under the name of Kilkis in the Greek Church the code 1732 and Slavic names Kukush the bronze and iron Hilendarski the code from the first half of the XVII century as the village. The Church Of St. George was built in 1830 and painted by iconographers from Georgios Halastra and Emmanuel from Giannitsa.
In the 19th century, Kukush, which was the center of an administrative unit – Kazi (Arethaesque or Kukushka), almost pure Bulgarian town. In “Ethnography of vilayets Adrianople, Monastir and Salonika”, published in Constantinople in 1878, reflecting demographic statistics 1873, Kukush (Coucouche) is designated as a city with 1170 households and 155 inhabitants Muslims, 5325 Bulgarians Gypsies and 40. The Bulgarians were the majority of the Christian population of the district of Kukush (abret Hisar) writes in his report of the British Consul in Thessaloniki (Charles Blunt), December 8, 1888 .