The government of Trinidad and Tobago is known for its rich culture, one of the features which is considered to be the annual carnival. In the ranking of the best carnivals of the world, this island holiday takes the second place after the legendary Brazilian. Due to the diversity of races and cultures of the inhabitants of the Islands, carnival is not a national character and is assorted from different cultures.
1. The band “hearts” during his presentation, “I love Carnival” on the last day of the Carnival of Trinidad and Tobago in the Royal Park Savannah in Port-of-Spain. Picture: REUTERS/Andrea De Silva
2. American actress Tatyana Ali (left) poses with her sisters Anastasia and Kimberly during his presentation “Butterflies, Beasts and Bacchanal” on the last day of the carnival of Trinidad and Tobago in the Royal Park Savannah in Port of Spain. Picture: REUTERS/Andrea De Silva
3. Members of a carnival group Color Fuh So act during his presentation “Conquest” on the last day of the carnival of Trinidad and Tobago. Picture: REUTERS/Andrea De Silva
4. Cherry-Ann Patrice Valere, dressed in the costume of the Lady of the Day, from “the Greatest show on Earth” produces two birds in the finals of the senior Queens and kings of carnival. Picture: Continue reading
The world’s best carnivals, which is a great way to have fun before lent by readers of the Guardian.
1. In the first place: Mas Dominik, Roseau, Dominica. This traditional carnival takes place on the eve of Great lent and is characterized by a friendly and non-commercial atmosphere. The holiday is a blend of African masquerade and traditional French carnival. On the first day of the carnival people dress up in costumes or just in pajamas and go outside while banging pots and pans. The atmosphere is so fun and addictive that simple viewer to be no one.
The festival takes place 1-8 March
Nice carnival takes place in the middle of February, but at this time there you can ride along the waterfront on an open-top car and enjoy the many yachts. The main events of the festival are held at Place Masséna.
The festival usually takes place from 18 February to 8 March,
Carnival in Cadiz (South of Spain, Andalusia) is the oldest carnival in the world. The holiday dates back to local customs: carnival arranged, when the long voyage returned sailors with gifts and new clothes, which was dressed and walking around the city. Still during carnival wearing Continue reading
Today’s carnivals-the favorite holidays of many Nations, living in different countries and on different continents. It came from the Latin word “carrus navalis”, which means “amusing chariot”, that is, the ship festive processions.
The origin of carnivals in Western Europe is most often associated with the middle ages, because in that time they received an unusually noisy and vivid expression. But in the Renaissance, the carnival turned into a luxurious event, during which froze the entire business life of the city. Residents poured into the streets and partied all day and night. Everywhere rode a beautiful wagon with the mummers, which portrayed the seasons, the heroes of ancient mythology, merchants, traders and savages. There were jesters, flirting with passersby.
The birthplace of the carnival is considered to be Italy. The main hero of Italian carnivals becomes “king”, sedately seated on the wagon. It was surrounded by popular characters – the characters of the Italian Commedia Dell’arte: a crowd favorite harlequin, arrogant liar and a coward Captain, guileless love, stupid and miserly merchant Pantalone, Dodger and humorist Brighella, Flirty Columbine, irrepressible Pulcinella and many others.